Pages

Tuesday 8 July 2014

Winter Beauty Edit: 50 Shades of Winter

Today's instalment of my WBE is all about the trending winter colours. From lips to nails its all about opposite ends of the spectrum - deep berry shades and sophisticated nudes.

In the nude




For nights out I've gravitated towards a dark brown smokey eye and the perfect pairing for that is a classic nude lip. My favourite nude lipstick is the Australis Go Long Lipstick in Preppy. This is a gorgeous, easy to wear nude shade in a matte finish and probably one of my most worn lipsticks. The Maybelline Colour Sensational Lipstick in Tantalizing Taupe from their Stripped Nudes collection is a another nude lipstick I've been gravitating towards because I absolutely love the formula. This is definitely more of a true nude than the Australis one but is surprisingly easy to pull off, even with my fair skin tone. I suggest checking out the Stripped Nudes collection from Maybelline if you're not sure what kind of nude will suit you. Finally for the lips is the NYX Butter Gloss in Creme Brulee. One of the best gloss formulas out there, Creme Brulee is perfect to layer on top of any nude lipstick to add that extra shine.

For the nails, I cannot go past a nude as they just look so sophisticated and elongate your hands. From the Rimmel London Salon Pro Range, Oh, Mr Darcey! is such a unique grey/taupe colour that is perfect for winter. You can't go past the formula of these polishes either - they are virtually indestructible. Finally, for a lighter, more girly nude I've been loving the Formula X for Sephora shade in Invincible. While you will need a couple of coats to get an opaque look, this is such a pretty shade again in a long wearing formula.

Berrylicious




Whilst keeping it subdued on the lips for night time looks I love wearing a bold lip during the day with flushed cheeks and a little bit of shimmer on the eyes. I've been leaning towards shades which are more red based with a purple undertone and with berry shades on the lips I prefer to keep in more on the matte side in terms of finish. Firstly, I have absolutely been loving the Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvets for a bold, matte lip. The shade Ole flamingo! is a gorgeous bright magenta shade and the formula is unbelievably long wearing. For another more pinky shade, the Shanghai Suzy Miss Melissa lipstick is a great, wearable bright berry pink with a long wearing formula. Finally, for something a little bit darker and with a bit more shine, this wouldn't be a 'Shades of Winter' post without mentioning Rebel by MAC. In the MAC satin finish, it makes your lips look full and intense and is very on trend for winter. Check out how I created a ombre lip with Rebel here.

Top - Bottom: Miss Melissa, Rebel, Ole Flamingo!

  • Check out how pigmented these lipsticks are - they still stained my hand even after scrubbing them off!
My favourite shade of nail polish of the winter has to be purple as it is my favourite colour. Because I've been loving the Rimmel Salon Pro polishes so much I picked up Urban Purple which is a beautiful dark red shade with purple undertones. However, my favourite purple nail polish has definitely been Essence Break Through. Essence have the best colour range for such an affordable brand and I absolutely love this one so much!

I hope you found some inspiration to warm up your winter looks and again, don't forget to check in tomorrow for a super exciting addition to my Winter Beauty Edit.

xx Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment