Pages

Thursday 26 March 2015

Velvet on Velvet: New from Rimmel


Rimmel recently released a few new products just in time for autumn and are perfect for lovers of all things matte!

Firstly, a product that I've been waiting to get my hands on for a while - the Apocalips Lip Velvets. These are the matte version of the original Apocalips Lip Lacquers which I seriously love (yes, I have all the shades). The Lip Velvets come in 4 different shades - two deep shades, an orange and a pinky nude. I decided to try the shade 'Meteoric Matte' as it looked very similar to the Australis shade 'Doo-Bai' but I wanted to see if the offering from Rimmel would be more comfortable on the lips.

The Apocalips Velvets definitely have a matte finish, however, they feel very similar to the original Apocalips as in they don't set on the lips. Whilst this makes them really comfortable to wear they will transfer like crazy with any eating or drinking. Whilst the shade 'Meteoric Matte' is such a beautiful deep berry shade I found this such a pain to wear during the day as it smudged all over my face, wore off unevenly and the colour ran quite badly around my lips. A beautiful shade but definitely a high maintenance formula.

Along with the Apocalips Lip Velvets, Rimmel has released a range of Velvet Matte Nail Polish. I have always loved the Rimmel nail polishes and was definitely excited to try the matte formulation. I picked up the shade 'Midnight Kiss' which is a navy blue and I thought it would be a cool alternative to a black polish.

I was most impressed with the fact that this nail polish actually dries in seconds. To get the best result I find that using only one coat gives the most even finish as layering the polish can look a bit messy if you're not careful. I have tried matte polishes before that just look as if you've got 'pillow marks' but this is not the case with the Rimmel Velvet Matte polishes. The finish is definitely matte and I think velvet is also an accurate description. The only negative I found was that the polish chipped really easily. As someone who always takes the extra step of adding a top coat, obviously using a top coat over these polishes would ruin the matte effect and it definitely showed in the wear time.

Overall I'm kind of disappointed I got sucked into the hype of these products. Whilst I was impressed with both products in terms of their shades and velvet texture I found them a little inconvenient and fussy - ain't nobody got time for that!

Rimmel is available from Priceline, Target, Big W, Kmart and other Pharmacies. The nail polishes retail for $8.95 and the lip velvets for $15.95 - but always look for a sale!

Have you tried these new products from Rimmel?

xx Cat

Follow me!

Instagram @_cat.mac
Twitter @cathsintents

No comments:

Post a Comment