Pages

Tuesday 20 October 2015

Tried & Tested: Models Prefer Contour Collection

I don't know why I purchased this product to be honest. I feel knee deep into the hype of the Australis Contour Kit and have used it about three times in total - I even included it in my recent post about products I regret purchasing! So why did I go out and buy another drugstore contour kit?

Contouring is definitely not a necessary part of my everyday makeup routine so I have never felt compelled to invest in a high end product and after hearing some positive reviews of the Models Prefer offering, especially in comparison to the Australis, I thought I should definitely at least give it a shot.

First off, the packaging is nice and sleek. It comes in a sturdy plastic which clips firmly shut and also houses a fantastic sized mirror inside. On the back of both the packaging and the palette itself are some instructions and diagrams showing how to use the different shades to create the most flattering contour for your face shape. Also included in the packaging is an incredibly thorough guide which goes through all sorts of tutorials on determining you skin tone, face shape and skin type.

The palette has 6 shades in total - 3 highlight shades and 3 contour shades.


  • Highlight 01 is neutral-pink tone matte shade and could be used as a setting powder or to blend out your contour.
  • Highlight 02 is a yellow tone matte shade.
  • Highlight 03 is a neutral-pink tone shimmery highlight with a gold reflex. This shade doesn't swatch too shimmery and leaves more of a nice sheen finish to the skin.
  • Contour 04 is a neutral-warm contour shade with pink undertones. It looks warmer in the pan than it does swatched. I find this shade to be the most flattering for my light-neutral skin tone.
  • Contour 05 is a cool tone contour shade with grey undertones. This shade would be perfect for those who prefer to use a grey or taupe shade to contour with. I find this shade a little too ashy for my skin tone.
  • Contour 06 is a warm, red toned bronze shade and is significantly warmer than shade 04. This shade would work well as a bronzer for medium-dark skin tones.
So how does the product actually perform?

I'm happy to say this palette is definitely more impressive than the Australis counterpart. I found I could use the contour shades to give nice definition to the face without the powders being too hard to blend or looking muddy on the face. I have quite fair skin but could definitely get use out of both shades 04 and 05, however 06 is too dark and too warm for my skin tone. The highlight shades also performed well. The powders are soft and blended well.

I think Models Prefer did a really great job here and where it really excels, particularly in comparison to the Australis palette, is that the shades are wearable and the powders blend out nicely. I also loved how the pigmentation wasn't crazy, so the shades are much easier to use and build up, rather than leaving an obvious line down your cheekbones (I would still use a light hand!).

Overall, I don't regret the $16.99 I spent on this and I have already been pulling it out to use on a regular basis!

Models Prefer is exclusive to Priceline and you can buy the Contour Collection here.

xx Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment